Saturday, July 19, 2014

Back in double digits

July 19  Plan: 9k LSD  Actual: 10k LSD

The Running Room schedule calls for the long slow distances to be done on Sunday, mostly, I guess, because that's when their run clubs are, but I much prefer to do my long run on Saturday.  Not sure why, just do. This weekend was no exception.

As I've said over the past few days I haven't felt great, like I was coming down with something.  I didn't run Thursday night even though there was 3k on the schedule, but between being out for dinner with a friend Thursday and therefore getting home late and just not feeling well I knew it wasn't going to happen.  So I just didn't do it.

Then Friday I felt like this cold I've been battling was making real headway so I wasn't sure if I'd be in any shape to run today.  Thankfully I woke up this morning and didn't feel any worse than I had previously so I got up and went out to see how I'd feel.

The plan was to cut it short if it felt horrid but thankfully, all good.

The best part was that it was overcast and not too hot when I started out shortly after 8am.  This beautiful sky, as photographed here, is a runner's dream.  Well, this runner's dream at least.  Not threatening enough that I had to be worried about getting drenched, but just enough to ensure that none of my much needed energy was sapped by the killer summer sun.

These delicious conditions continued for the first 5k of my run but alas, all good things must come to an end and the sun started to come out in earnest on my second half - unfortunately the part where my run is on a slow, steady incline.  Perfect. 

All in all it was still a nice run. Felt good to get back into double digits again - it's been a few weeks since I've been over 10k.  Even though the plan called for 9 I felt it necessary to stretch it a bit in preparation for next weekend's Durham Quarter Marathon that I'm signed up for.  10.59kms through the streets and trails of Oshawa.  Looking forward to it, and feeling more ready for it now than I have been for the past few weeks of shorter distances.

In other general notes about the run, I saw at least four bunnies in my travels, starting with this guy in my own backyard just before I left.  Not sure about everyone else, but these guys are living up to their prolific reputation this year like never before - they're truly everywhere! 


4k steady on the schedule for tomorrow.   Bought two new running bras today and am looking forward to taking one of them for a spin.  Will likely go in the evening because I really really really need to sleep in tomorrow - that's right, it's not a want, it's a real need at this point - but also because it's supposed to rain in the morning and I'd rather avoid that if at all possible.  We may be taking the dog up to a puppy festival in Port Perry with friends in the late morning so that helps solidify things time wise.

And if all else fails, there's always the dreadmill.   Ugh.  Fingers crossed for decent afternoon/evening weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment