Monday, July 7, 2014

An overdue weekend update

July 5  Plan: 7k LSD  Actual:  7.4k LSD

Got up surprisingly early for a Saturday to do this run for a few reasons.  One, wanted to beat the heat.  And two, more importantly, we were on a timeline.

Plan was to finish the run, have a quick shower, hit Starbucks, then drop the puppy off at the boarders and hit the highway for a two country outlet shopping tour extravaganza.  And that's precisely what happened!

Run started out quite well - the conditions were lovely.  A nice breeze, no humidity, and the sun, while omnipresent in the mega blue sky, wasn't beating down on me just yet with killer intentions.  I had planned to do my 8k route - one that would have made for a nice rectangle in the picture to the right - but given our time constraints and some sore legs I opted to try out a shorter route to be closer to 7 as per the schedule.

Run started off with a nature inspired comedic twist. I was but two streets away from my house when I was approaching a family of Canada Geese.  About six adults and an additional six babies, though they were hardly babies by this point - more like geese tweens.  They were in a grassy area just to the right of the sidewalk I was planning to run along as I rounded the corner.  I barely made it three steps before what I can only assume was Mother Goose came flying towards me with the devil in her eyes.  I quickly fled the scene and made my way to safety on the other side of the street.   Yeesh!

The rest of the run was relatively good.  Legs felt okay for the first few k and I really flew down Anderson - great hill there that's a joy to run down.  Up, not so sure yet, but I'm considering it for hill repeats in a few weeks.  We shall see. 

As I rounded the corner to head up Garden, the last long stretch of my route, I lost steam. Big time.  I couldn't get through my intervals, requiring more walking breaks than normal, and started to get some strained feelings throughout my legs.  I was really surprised that they were bothering me so much, especially since not two weeks before I'd run twice this distance, and then some!  So strange. Is it the weather? The fact that I'm just going shorter distances overall?  Who knows.  Hopefully it improves!

To add insult to (almost) injury, the last km was run straight into insane winds - where the hell did those come from!?  I actually started laughing as I was trying to plow my way home.  At least I didn't have much further to go from there. 

Micheal and I had a great time on our weekend trip and were both exhausted beyond belief when we got home last night, hence why this post is only getting knocked out now.  Better late than never?  Here's hoping.  Also the schedule called for 3k yesterday as well but yeah, didn't happen.  Noooooo way.  Too tired, not enough time, pick an excuse, any excuse.  I'll make it work.

Rest day again today, then back at it again tomorrow.  Now my biggest decision is whether or not I put on my brand spankin new shoes for the run.  :)

Back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment