Sunday, October 19, 2014

Shaking out the cobwebs before the big day

October 18  Plan:  3k LSD  Actual:  3k LSD

I hadn't run since Tuesday so was both looking forward to and dreading this short run.  Wasn't sure how my knees were going to feel and the mindfu(k that is tapering was wreaking havoc with my psyche.  But since it was only 3k I decided to take the dog with me 'cause that's about as much as he can take before he just can't do anymore.

Turned out to not be the best idea after all.

You know how everyone says nothing different on or just before race day? No new foods or clothing or anything like that, because you never know how it might impact you?

Well, I should have thought about that before I took my dog out with me when I, well, never do that.  Ever.  Because I can always outrun him in distance.

But hey, it was only 3k, you say, how bad could it be?

Let me tell you. 

Finn pulls for the first k, runs with me for the second, then needs a bit of coaxing for the third.  Which is why I never take him with me if I'm going any further than that.  The problem came with the first k, the pulling part.  A few hours after my run I noticed that my left hip and right shoulder were super sore.  So strange!  WTF?!   And then it hit me...it was because he was pulling me, and I was completely out of alignment during that time.  Left hip back taking the brunt of my stride, right shoulder forward, being pulled because his leash was in my right hand.

D'oh! 

Thank goodness he's cute


A few minutes with the Magic Bag of heat on my hip as well as a Voltaren dip seemed to help and thankfully I was feeling a bit better by bed time.  Fingers crossed it's all good for race day!

No comments:

Post a Comment