Monday, October 13, 2014

20k - say whut?!

October 4  Plan: 20k  Actual: 20k

20 frickin k, yo.

That shit is far.   Crazy far.

I spent a lot of time trying to come up with a good route for this one.  Whitby/Oshawa is stupendously hilly, this I've learned over my past few months, and given how my knees and legs have been feeling, anything I can do to cut down on the number of uphills is a good good good thing.

So I smushed together some of my favourite parts of previous routes and came up with this one which, wouldn't you know it, came precisely to 20k.  Mercy be.

Wasn't sure if this run was going to happen on the Saturday or Sunday because of the weather but I really really like getting them done on Saturdays so was delighted when the weather cooperated.  Conditions I love - relatively overcast with bits of sun and no rain.  Phew no rain.  Loved it.

There were many walking breaks in this run, hence my pace.  Knees were crazy sore the final 5k which makes me really appreciate that this is my last long run before the actual race.  I think my body really needs the taper.  Big time.

My one and only goal (other than to finish) on race day is to be done in less than three hours.  So I was relatively happy to get this one done in 2:53 giving me a bit of an estimate about how fast I need to go on race day to actually get there.  I'm feeling like I can do it, having come this close now.  Especially since the course is flat and not as stupid hilly as the routes out here.

The look on my face in the picture below pretty much says it all.  That was my smile, really and truly was.  Took this at about the 18k mark when I thought my knees were going to seize but I kept going.  Never been so happy to see my house in all my life.

Next long run?  The race!  Ack!



No comments:

Post a Comment