Saturday, September 20, 2014

Running with a dollar store bag in hand is suprisingly hard

September 18  Plan:  8k steady  Actual: 4ish k errand run

This one was a toughie.  Not the run itself, per se, but figuring out what to do and when to do it.

I had my 15k race coming up on Saturday at 7am, a mere 36 hours after this run.  The schedule called for 8 and I was more than a bit concerned about doing 8k then racing 15 on Saturday morning so I decided to split the difference and go for four or so, see how the legs feel, that kind of stuff.

Then my GO train got delayed and that messed things up even further.  We were supposed to stop and drop off/pick up a few things on the way home, hit the Dollarama, then come home and I would run.  Then we'd eat.

Not so much.  Micheal dropped everything off while I waited for my late train to pull in, but then he was in traffic on his way to get me after I arrived so I hopped on a bus to get home.  We ended up meeting half way up and made our way back to the house. 

Which meant that we didn't pass Dollarama as expected, which meant that I'd have to go out later in the evening, which I really didn't want to do.  So I improvised.

I ran to Dollarama, then home.

I took the long, loopy way, but I did it.  Ran there, got what I needed (something for a friend at work and legwarmers for my self to help keep me warm at Saturday's race), and ran back.

Running there was fine.  Nice enough.  Especially since I knew it would be a rather quick jaunt.

Running home with a damned dollar store back was a pain in the ass.

I like to swing my arms when I run.  Not just like, need to.  So this new impediment to free motion really screwed me up on the last leg of things home. 

It was like my arms didn't know what to do with themselves.  I pushed the handles of the bag up near my elbow so I could still move my arms back and forth and that just  made it bounce around more.  Annoying.

Needless to say I was quite delighted when I finally rounded my corner to home.  Also happy to keep the pace under 8 minutes which a few months ago would have been a no brainer but now is some near magical feat.  Good times.

Anyway, nice little run with an interlude, got it done and it helped me stretch out my legs pre race.  Let's just hope it's my last in a long while with a damned shopping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment