Friday, September 12, 2014

New routes are fun!

September 9   Plan: 5k tempo    Actual:  5k whatever

Yet another opportunity to run in the city!

Had a meeting at 4:30pm up at Avenue and Lawrence which meant I was kinda screwed timing wise for running.  I'm usually on the 4:53 train home, then I go do my run, and given that we were going to be there for at least a hour, that wasn't going to happen. 

So I decided to make the most out of the situation and get my run in on my way back to the GO train.  After the meeting, which went longer than anticipated, I changed into my running clothes, shoved all my workday stuff into my MEC backpack, and hit the road.

This is the second time I've run with a backpack and while I'm not the biggest fan, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it might be.

I generally know this area well as I lived there a thousand years ago so it was nice to reminisce as I ran through the old neighbourhood.  Despite being a flat then downhill course it still felt rather taxing for whatever reason.  I blame the extra pounds.  But I digress...

Was originally running down Duplex so as to avoid the pedestrian traffic on Yonge but then the need for a bathroom struck and I adjusted my route.  Found myself a Subway, took care of business, and got back on the sidewalk.  Reminded me of doing the Sporting Life 10k which was kinda neat, and I enjoyed my last 2k or so down to Davisville subway station where I hopped on and continued my trek to Union Station, run under my belt.

Thankfully this journey wasn't nearly as hot or humid as my previous one so I was able to just continue on with my business and not stink up the joint too badly. 

Having done two of these in as many weeks I'm kind of hoping that's it for now.  As much as I really do appreciate a change of scenery - I'm getting really bored with my own 'hood - the lugging of stuff is a pain in the ass.  And the back, for that matter.  So hopefully this is it for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment