Friday, August 15, 2014

Sometimes the hardest part is just getting out the door

August 14   Plan:  5k steady  Actual:  5k steady

So yeah.  This is the run that almost wasn't.  Reallllly almost wasn't.

I didn't want to go out so badly I can't even describe it.  All train ride home I was thinking about why I shouldn't go.  Got off said train and it had just started raining - perfect excuse.

I was so tired.  Didn't feel great.  Stomach was kind of upset.  Just wanted to sit and chill and put my feet up. 

But 5k was on the agenda, 12 was coming up on the weekend, and I knew that since I was already skipping the Wednesday runs I pretty much had to get this one done.

So I did.

It was cold and wet out but I couldn't stomach the thought of a treadmill run.  So I decided that a tank top and my Running Room jacket were a good combination so that's what I went with.  Meant I could put my water bottle in one pocket and my phone in the other where it should stay dry if hte rain should start to fall.

Got outside and decided to do a new-ish loop before I headed to a semi regular route.  That got me 1k into the run and helped warm me up, both mentally and physically. 

A few minutes into everything I looked down at my watch and saw those terrifying words - battery low, dismiss.  Eeps!  My watch measures everything for me!  My walk intervals, distance, everything!  How would I know when I'd actually gone 5k?  I hadn't mapped out the route but instead was counting on my watch to guide me.  The Nike app on my phone would have been a good back up but I wasn't sure even that would get me home because my phone battery was low as well.  Yeesh. 

Well, fortunately my new Forerunner 15 made it all the way through my 40 minute run and didn't die. Impressive!  My last one never would have lasted that long, so another improvement over the 10. 

Anyway, timing mechanism issues aside, the run was actually surprisingly enjoyable.  I was able to pick up my pace a bit over the past few runs I've done even though I really wasn't pushing myself.  So that helped - made me feel better overall, like I'm getting back into things as I should. 

Got a bit warm along the way despite the cooler temps and overcast skies so I opened up the vents on my jacket and that allowed in some much needed fresh air. 

4.5k in my house was in sight and I was going to take one last loop around the cul de sac to get me to the 5k mark when the skies opened up and I got drenched.  I decided to just go with it, especially since I was close to home, and actually enjoyed how refreshing it was.  Huh.  So this is what those people I previously thought of as whackjobs are talking about when they say the like running in the rain.  Mind blown.

Came home sweaty, wet and tired but so much happier coming home than I was going out.  Will remember this run for a long time for those occasions where 'but I don't wanna' run on repeat in my brain.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment