Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Quick Sunday 4k

August 17  Plan:  4k steady  Actual:  4k tempo

Another run that ended up much better than I'd anticipated.

For the past few days I've been feeling like I've been coming down with something.  You know, that scratchy feeling at the back of your throat, the fatigue, all that stuff?  Yeah, that's been me since Friday. 

For yesterday's long run I wasn't feeling horrible but there was something there.  I ran anyway, knowing that sometimes the run can actually help push something off and actually make you feel better.  So since I wasn't feeling like total crap, I went for it.

When I get sick, or feel that it's coming on, my best defense is sleep.  Bar none.  It's what helps me stop something in it's tracks if I even stand a chance. 

So Sunday morning I was conflicted.  Get up and run then, early in the morning, when I feel my best, or get sleep and run later in the day, which would mean I'd be thinking about it allllll daaaayyyyy long.

Micheal was heading out for about three hours and needed to leave the house at 9:45.  If I wanted to have access to our one and only car for that time then I'd have to drive him and pick him up.  So when 9am rolled around I had a really quick decision to make - get up and go or just sleep. 

I took a quick peek outside and noticed it was overcast again despite them calling for sun all day which solidified my decision - out for the run it was. I love running with clouds and it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Threw on my gear and my shoes and told Micheal to be ready right at 9:45 because I figured I'd be  down to the line time wise and we likely wouldn't have a minute to spare.  And then I started running.

I knew I'd have just enough time but I had to hustle. 

Which I did!  Was actually surprised to see my pace.  Again, not stellar fast but faster than I'd been which I was happy about.  I'd had a big dinner out the night before so had lots of carbs to fuel those 4k.  Guess a bit of time pressure really does help move my feet a bit faster!

I can't say that it was a super easy run - though IMHO no run ever is - I really felt the increased speed.  But was really happy to round the corner to my house at 9:44, just in time to get where we needed to go.  Micheal grabbed my purse and got in the car then met me at the end of my street where the 4k officially clicked over. 

I love it when a plan comes together!

No comments:

Post a Comment