Sunday, August 10, 2014

Back on the road again

August 10  Plan:  10k LSD  Actual:  10k LSD

Well that was interesting. 

It's been two weeks since I've done a long run.  One week since I've run at all. And let's not even discuss how much vacation weight/bloat I have since getting home from Mexico on Friday.

It's abyssal.  But alas.  That's vacation for you.  Back to good eating and better habits - and routine!! - right now.

I wasn't sure if I was going to go the whole 10k today given how long it had been since I'd run so I elected to go with my 8k run which I knew I could cut short if need be.  And if I felt up to it, I knew I could also add those last two k on relatively simply so I laced up my shoes and just went for it.

I told myself I was going to go slow, very slow, so that I could just get through it all.  The last thing I wanted was to hurt myself so slow and steady was definitely the way to win this race.

And boy did I set records - my slowest 10k ever!  Ha!  Almost laughable how long it took me.  But surprisingly I managed to run the vast majority of my intervals instead of adding extra walk breaks with a few exceptions in mega sunny and/or hilly spots.  I just.went.slow.  Period. 

I was breezing along until about the 6k mark, then I started to get a bit sore.  I really debated going for 10 - at that point, even my 8k route seemed long and home was far away.  So I stopped for a second, had some water, stretched out my sore calf, and kept going. I had about 1k to go before I had to decide if I was going for 8 or 10 and by the time I got there I made the decision to just go for it.

The last k was very sore as something strange happened in my right knee and I had to walk more than I normally might.  I also found myself getting crazy hungry on this run, something that's never happened to me before.  Ever.  I don't eat before I run because I hate having food in my stomach.  And usually by the time I get home I feel gross and need a bit of time before I can even consider food.  Today?  Totally different ball game.  Was starving at the 8k mark and was really regretting not bringing a Shot Blok with me for the run.  Strange!  Really enjoyed my greek yogurt and thin bagel when I got home.

So that's that.  Slowly getting back on track and looking forward to getting into a routine again.  Am hoping to get all three weekday runs in this week but the weather's looking weird so we shall see.  I've been doing okay with two week day and two weekend runs so that might be the key to getting back on the horse. 

And now it's bedtime and real life begins again tomorrow.  Fingers crossed getting back to good eating gets some of these vacation pounds off and that makes running even a little bit easier again.

No comments:

Post a Comment