Saturday, June 28, 2014

The first run - June 26

June 26 - Plan:  3k steady  Actual:  3.13 steady

First week in and I'm already messing with the program.  Snicker.  I'm usually a rule follower but I figure there's lots of flexibility in this stuff so I'm just rolling with it.

Training was supposed to start yesterday but I had dinner plans with a former colleague that made running in the evening impossible and it was pouring in the morning so no dice.  I'm also keeping in mind the fact that I did a 5k race on Sunday when the plan doesn't expect me to start until Wednesday so I suppose you could say I'm ahead of the proverbial game anyway.

So. Got up at 5am to get this run in as again, I'd be out for dinner so morning it had to be.  Plan called for 3k steady so I knew I could get that in easily before I had to be home to shower and get ready for work.

It was crazy humid, even at that time of day, but I was excited to get started.

I usually run intervals...not even 10 and 1's but 6 and 1's.  I know, I know.  So many of you run steady all the time and the thought of 6 and 1's is just insanity.  But for me, running is as much a mental challenge as a physical one, and I can't tell you how badly my brain needs that run every six minutes, and every second in between them.  I may have lost a good deal of weight but I'm still hauling around over 200lbs so yeah, running ain't no breeze for me.  So intervals it is and pretty much always will be.  Hence why I don't run well with others.

Plan called for steady, however, which is, as one might suspect, steady running.  No walking breaks, just running at a well slower than race pace.  So I decided I might as well give it a shot and see what happens.  It's only 3k after all - and if I had to stop to walk so be it.  No harm done.

Well, much to my surprise and delight, I did it!!  Ran the entire way with two very short - I'm talking six strides here - walking breaks to sip some water.  I mentioned it was humid, yes!?  Oy.

Pace was indeed slower than my regular interval pace but still well faster than the recommended Running Room pace for a 2:30 half finish time (I know it'll take me even longer than that and that's cool by me) so I was happy overall.

Happy it was only 3 in that humidity though.  Yikes!  This training in the summer thing will be interesting, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment