Saturday, June 28, 2014

And so it begins...an introduction.

A year and a half ago, a friend of mine asked if I'd be interested in doing a Learn to Run clinic at the Running Room.    Surprising everyone, especially myself, I said yes - and life hasn't really been the same since.

Let's back up a bit.  Just over two years ago, I weighed 330lbs.  Yeah.  True story.  I'd been obese for most of my life. Exercise of any kind was a four letter word of the dirtiest kind.  I'd pretty much resigned myself to a lifetime of living as an overweight person - I'd tried so many different plans and, well, nothing had worked.  Ever.

That all changed when friends introduced us to a program called Ideal Protein.  Long story short, it worked.  Really well.  I lost 140lbs and my life will never be the same.  So when my friend asked me that question I thought hmmm, I wonder what running will be like now that I'm so much lighter and healthier?  Might as well give it a shot and see what happens.

Worse case scenario I hate it and then I'll know.  No harm, no foul.   Best case?  I'll find an activity I love that can help me keep the weight off for the long term.

I guess you can figure out how that all went.

Two years ago it wouldn't be uncommon for you to hear me say 'if you see me running, call the police 'cause someone's chasing me!'  Now if you see me running, it ain't no thing.  No one's chasing me, honest.  I'm doing this because I love it.

I completed the Learn to Run clinic and did my first 5k race, the Resolution Run, on January 1, 2013.  Since then I've completed 12 5k and one 10k race.  I'm signed up for a 1/4 marathon on July 26th, a 15k race on September 20th, and now the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon on October 19th.

What can I say, I like medals.  And free bagels/bananas.

So now it's all over but the 18 weeks of training to get me there.  I'm following the Running Room half training plan but on my own instead of in a clinic but hey, I don't really run well with others so solo it shall be.

Let's see if getting there really is half the run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment